Sunday, October 23, 2011

Navarre

Navarre is a Gypsy Vanner.  He is 4 going on 5.  His real name is  WR Prince Navarre.  He has serious health issues everyone looking at a Vanner should know about.  I did not ... and I am paying for it dearly!

He is a different looking horse for this area.  He has beautiful eyes... light blue!

His mind is as solid as they come!   I have had this little boy up against ( meaning on the road next to ) a school bus, a dump truck, rattling large trucks everything! He flinches a little but, never freaks out about it like Sweet Pea.
He is a messy looking horse.  But thick, hairy, and solid.  American's tend to lean towards the long and lanky like Sweet Pea.  I wanted exactly what he is as my " old woman " horse.

Navarre was also a splendid gift from Jerry!  I has talked about the breed for years, took him to see one and ... that was it!   I picked parents, waited forever! and got him, then had to wait for two years before I could start to ride him.

Navarre is slow, very slow but that is what I wanted.

I enjoy everything about him EXCEPT his PPSM, EPSM or EPPSM they all spell the same thing.

NO sugar! not even grass.

This poor kid is the reason I am riding this trip in the dead of winter.  He says on a mud lot and dead grass is going to be the only time I could take him on the road.  Oh yeah... with PPSM  you also can not stall a horse, they have to be able to move around all the time.

in laymen terms it is much like being a diabetic.  except it is not the pancreas in a horse it is the muscle development and health that is effected.  Thus the reason even one week off puts my schedule back a month when training ( more to come later)  

No comments: