Sunday, January 8, 2012

That first day!

WOW! it all started by finding Navarre OUT of the paddock.  One would expect him to be in the pasture, but NO not my little boy! Navarre was OUT away from any grass etc... I had to unlock a gate in order to let him back in from BEHIND the barn.  I was laughing but alarmed! How perfect is this to start a trek ... with a horse with a metabolic disorder and he's been out eating who knows what for who knows how long.

Sometimes in life you just have to laugh!

Having said that... I got the kids, took them to the trailer and Sweet Pea refuses to get in for the first time in... OH! 6 years! Ok so the light was on and she didn't like it, I eased her in, got the little boy in and we were on our way.

FORGOT my donuts Jerry had gone out to get me! My coke too... I wanted a sugar rush so badly, but it was just not meant to be.

drove to the Y with no problems...
took my time loading the gear onto the kids...
FINALLY got that done in between looking for a friend that I knew was coming my way, but like everything else this morning, I had somehow gotten the WRONG ADDRESS and name from their site, and I had sent her to another place with out knowing it!  So I was staring at every car, every passer by and was hoping she was ok.  (she was fine... it was my fault)

I got down the road... and things were fine.  Sweet Pea as usual wanted a faster pace than Navarre, So I eased into her, had her better and better on the bit! She was looking really good with all the businesses and cars, trucks... only one dump truck at this point.

We were going at our walking pace, her head bent at pole, neck at a good arch, she was a beautiful example of "listening" taking my commands.  THEN as we were taking our second blind curve to worry about traffic my LIFE ... well ... it all rushed to a HAULT.  I turned around as Navarre's line had less slack, and there was NO PACK ON HIM and he couldn't move.   Poor guy had over 200 lbs of equipment ON HIS BELLY, between his legs and could not walk!  Yes I had checked it before leaving, but apparently he is starting to get better and better at this blown belly thing.

MY "MOTHER" voice kicks in unlike my SCREAMING normal voice of everyday!
Your ok... Were ok... as I hold out my arm to stop traffic in a blink curve.  I push the kids into the ditch, allow Sweet Pea to ground tie... and YES with cars, trucks, and my emotional black wall she stands there and doesn't move!   I figured out what all those crazy buckles on the mule pack were for... emergency release as there is no way to get one thing off at a time .. in a knee deep ditch, but still in and out of traffic, as I maneuver from side to side, horse to horse.

I know those of you know don't know me are not going to get any of this! But yes I some how kept my cool till the horses were safe; at which point the SCREAMING voice comes back with a rush of.... DON'T bother me attitude.  Basically I melted once the kids were across the street and I was no longer ( with the help of a man and a woman who saw the whole thing... ) carrying items from ditch through traffic to a parking lot across the way where again Sweet Pea just ground tied and Navarre wanted to eat more grass, which was stressful in its own place for me.   ( Yes I have a horse that can not be allowed to have grass!ANY! ) Proof of I was "OK" till everything else was ok.  Is that I calmly talked to the guy who offered to help me, asking him where they were from, he offered that his wife did all the shoveling at a barn.  They offered me two apples and an orange... I took ONE apple and shared it with Sweet Pea. After they left, so did my mind.

I am normally ok if I can carry about a conversation that has no relation to the situation.  They were the perfect distraction for me in this emergency.  It took me half the time to re-load Navarre, I got back on and on my way once again.

Lots happened... I'll tell you in even more detail later... but I've got to rest...
Much love to the world,
My love to everyone in it.
Amber

2 comments:

Melanie said...

Those people being what you needed in the moment, showing up right then, was all those prayers going up for you a week before your ride! Regardless of what higher power you believe in...you were being watched over and taken care of. I know it. :)
xoxo

Amber Goins-Finley said...

Melanie, I know you are EXACTLY right... it was this trust in humanity I was banking on for the entire trip.