Monday, January 9, 2012

Continue of first day...

With Sweet Pea standing still watching every move I made as I reloaded Navarre, I worked as quickly as I could and got Navarre reworked and tighter than tight... of which I hate to do to a horse but apparently his hitting into Sweet Pea on a tight road was going to be a weight issue that required him to be restricted as much as I could.

On down the road into the middle turning lane at a good four way.  The light was green so we never had to stop, although the looks did slow down traffic, and it collected behind us.  I waved them on, and took my lane for going under the interstate and on my way.

Under bridges that were each two lanes with wide curbs is not the easiest thing to do with a horse that is as high strung as Sweet Pea and she was fine till the tiny car with another belt or break issue passed us UNDER the second bridge and in her mind turned this concrete tunnel into a monster wanting to swallow her whole.
As we exited the bridges a motorcycle sat at the end of the exit ramp.  This guy held traffic! and I verbally thanked him for doing so.  He uttered words that didn't fully come through over the hoof beats and the traffic from the interstate behind me; but I think he was saying he had or did have horses at some time.   We were fine now being on a small two lane back road.

Our first bridge! Bridges were a concern for me, but we walked across with no hesitation, one car passed us from the opposite direction and a large truck with trailer in tow slowly and nicely passed us from behind.  Once his trailer was dead center with us ??? for some reason he HONKED HIS HORN dead on for a length of time as if aggressive?   I yelled what the ##$#$^ but the horses never flinched and this was exactly what I wanted.  So I was trying to relax in saddle so not to accidentally signal Sweet Pea for an alarm when all of a sudden she is down!

Soft shoulder... her Right hind went down to her knee.  On my leggy little girl that is well over a 12 inch cave in.  She recovered nicely as she normally does (she is the most sure footed horse I have ever had) Navarre stopped I looked her over for cuts... got back on and we were fine.

We were getting near the end of the few miles I wanted for the day and a car passes us, parks, and a man runs back to meet us.  OH!   You never see this on the east coast! Where are you headed? Have a safe journey! he said as he walked along the side of us back to his car and past it.  He seemed to be a sweet man apparently from out west (with the comment), he later passed us from the opposite direction pulling over and taking pictures of us as we went down the road.

We passed a few horses only four but they all rushed the fence,  followed us and got my kids all worked up.  Navarre was hopping trying to get in front of Sweet Pea to get at the horses.  The barbwire fence was only slacked and I was worried the other horses may come over it, but they knew their limit... but nosed my foot they were so close.  So four horses on one side, cars passing us on the other and each car watching the show and action of six horses wanting to get at each other was a site to see!   Had I not been the only human in the shot it would have been a beautiful shot/ photo.  Me holding my two in one hand, swinging her reins with the other... This is what I expected on the trip!   This was fun!

I pulled over once again to check the gear with Navarre and all his hopping! better safe than sorry, as I didn't want another belly pack on the little guy.    I pulled into a drive way and the owner was pulling in.  A weird situation.  ? meaning I'm there I want to stop so I asked him if he knew of a place I could throw a tent? NO? but in a weird tone.  do you know where I might get water for my horses? no again... He wanted to talk about how he thought it was the horses down the road out.  Which made no sense with me... as NOT ONE ... none of them were the colors of mine! and Navarre's pack is the size of him, Sweet Pea's set up was bulky and bigger than her.  ?   I went on my way after! having to take out my canvas cover and throw it on my own saddle so not to repack Navarre all over again.

I went down further, asked one more lady, one more man, then an older couple outside at their yard sale, I asked yet another house.  They all said NO... No they didn't know anyone that would let me... They had no idea!  One said try the other side of the highway.  One said she didn't own the place so she couldn't.    I pulled the kids over for a water hole.  Got them some water as it had just rained anyway so why not!

Pulled back out on the road and the TENT fell off of Navarre's pack... Back to the vacant lot! Tied the tent onto Sweet Pea asked two older kids where I might get water or pitch a tent.  Walmart and the River were their answers.

So I went to the six lane four way stop at CVS, a gas station and Walmart with in sight.... Got in the turning lane and eased my way onto the curb.  a WIDE 20 foot curb... easy going as the rain started to mist.  Got buzzed by one 18 wheeler still in the slow lane next to us. Stopped at the first road, only businesses all closed no outlet, went back to the highway.  Second road.  got down it plenty of houses but a dog that came at us... I figured I'd save that fight for another day.  Back out to the highway again... down a ways and back toward the highway... I went up to a modular with lots of cars... asked for water for the horses. The young man that answered the door ask someone inside.  SURE she said there's the spicket!  Thank you so much!  I asked if there was any place I could throw a tent... she with a long pause said well... you could stay over there, pointing next door!  Is the owner home? I asked.  I own it she said.  Is anyone there I asked.. no it's vacant, but you have to go back out the road and then blah blah blah...   It was a curvy long graveled road but the trailer wasn't 50 feet from her back porch.  PERFECT! Thank you so much.

I gave the horses water before I moved them. walked them and set up their high line.  Pitched my tent, sent out my gps location, called Jerry, Melanie and Daddy.

Life was good but the rain was coming down steady and I got settled in.

More later... that's enough typing for one sitting...
Amber.

No comments: