Wednesday, December 7, 2011

breaking news... ! Routes will change!

The Blue Ridge Parkway has denied me access to the 15 mile stretch I needed to make my exit from Western North Carolina safely.

For them it was "a safety issue" I see their point, also stating it is frequently used for commuting.

I accept their decision BUT that doesn't mean I agree AT ALL.
Safety... BRP is 35 or  45 mph never higher. the other roads will be 50 or 55
Safety... it is used as a commuter road so with in the time of year I am asking for it is NOT a highly traveled road in comparison to the others I will now have to use, not to forget there are no semi trucks, dump trucks or commercial vehicles allowed!  Or compared to any other time of the year, this is their slow season as well.
       Being a commuter road, we all have to watch for bikes, animals, and ? what ever else SO if any road were safer it would have been this one as we all work with the cyclist that are constantly on the BRP ... EVEN when cars are not allowed.  We as locals know there is going to be someone on the road, coming out of a trail, hitching a ride, or riding, pushing a bike!

His response was (as he explained extreme... but) if someone wanted to roller skate on a road ...
The difference is.... I have the right to have a horse as my transportation, and there are legal exceptions for federal properties, of which three others have given me access!   under a law that was intended to protect the rights of Mennonites and the Amish.  

So now my next few days will be tending to backing up, re accessing, and recalculating my route.  Wish me luck! AND any locals out there! HELP! I'm sure you know these roads better than I.

my hat is off to the Feds for protecting our lands... BUT the explanation and denial was not out of protection of me or the property.  It was their fear that is ... unreasonable considering all the bikes on that very same road, they are just not used to people who think out of the box.

No comments: